Friday, July 22, 2011

Have you ever, what ifs, and goodbyes.

wondered what things would be like if things were different or you'd done something differently?

What if you hadn't done this or that? What if you hadn't picked up that book? Or even what if something stopped you from doing something that would have ended up killing you?

(Referring to that last one, I know someone who was supposed to be on the plane that crashed into the Twin Towers. They decided they wanted to stay an extra day so they didn't get on the plane. What if they hadn't?)

At this spot right here I'm debating whether this is going to be my Harry Potter blog...I'm afraid that doing it will be like saying a final goodbye to a friend I have lost but will forever remain in my heart and mind...and with that I have begun my final goodbye.

So I guess I will begin with my first experience with Harry Potter.  I was in 4th grade and Chamber of Secrets was to be released soon. Well everyone was talking while we were standing outside waiting for our teacher to let us in about how the guy who played Dumbledore had died. Well me being the odd child I was (and still can be :P ) decided I wanted to read these books. By this time the fourth book was out so yes I was a little late starting into the series but it definitely touched me deeper than anything ever has and has stuck with me through every up and down of my life. But back to that later, I always get ahead of myself.

Anywho, I have another thing to confess. I skipped the first book. I watched the movie then decided to just read the second book and move on from there. (I did go back and read it though eventually its just bloody boring and I already know where it's going with the story so I hate wasting my time on it. Sorry but that's the truth!)

Can you tell I'm trying not to get emotional about this? :P It's extremely difficult.

OKAY BACK TO MY STORY! So I started reading the books and really liked them I was finished with 2 through 4 by January after starting in October and for a fourth grader my teacher was very shocked when I got 100s on all my AR tests that I took on them :P

So I was waiting and waiting for the fifth book to come out that summer. The day it came out I went to Target and picked up my copy I had put on hold. I just sat around reading all day, I think I finished it in like 2 and a half days or something.

Now I don't remember if I really grasped the themes of the books and I probably didn't but I know the books affected me...greatly.

Anyways so this pattern continued, I was always pretty excited for the movies but I couldn't sleep when it came to the books. I grew up with them and I was 14 when Deathly Hallows was released. I think this is when I started really dissecting the themes and everything.

So now onto how they affected me. I can honestly say, as can almost every TRUE HP fan, nothing has shaped me greater or helped me to become me than HP.  


(Now I''m going to rant a little, just fyi.)

I get very very very passionate when I talk about Harry Potter. People have left over the years and that has made it hard for me to accept people into my life because I always have this fear that they will leave. So I push and push until one day they do leave and I'm left with nothing again, there is someone who reads this that I know experiences that pushing every day and I'm sorry love. One thing that has always been there for me and helped me through all my ups and downs is Harry Potter. So when people keep their kids from reading it because it's about witchcraft and "satanism" I get a little pissy. (I may curse so don't read the rest of this paragraph if you don't want to see...) Maybe if those parents picked up a goddamn book and read it they would see that 1) no "satanism" (at least not that I ever saw); 2) while it is about witchcraft it is more about; 3) the power of love and friendship and god I can't even put the rest into words because it's just things that I feel when I think about Harry Potter...hopefully you will all understand that :P

I guess this isn't really like most goodbyes and I haven't really said as much as I thought I would but I guess that's just because of what I said before. Harry Potter, Hermione Granger, Ron Weasley, Ginny Weasley, Fred and George Weasley, Molly and Arthur Weasley, Minerva McGonagall, Albus Dumbledore, Sirius Black, Mad-Eye Moody, Dobby, Luna Lovegood, Neville Longbottom, Remus Lupin, Nymphadora Tonks, Kingsley Shacklebolt, Hagrid, Filius Flitwick, and so many others were characters so real you thought they were your friends and family and teachers but in the end they weren't. They aren't real people or even characters in a book, they are parts of who I am. So thank you JK Rowling for shaping me and almost my whole generation into people who understand the importance of love, friendship, and having noses ;P It was a great.

In the words of my mother, "Harry Potter was good for you..I wonder what the next generation will have." Whatever it is, nothing can or will ever top the way HP entered our souls and earned a place to stay forever.

Till the end, always.

No comments:

Post a Comment